Fifteen ‘Big Ideas’ emerged from last month’s online discussion about the building blocks of great new neighbourhoods. A ‘Big Thank You’ to everyone who joined in the conversation and shared their thoughts about the key features, qualities, and characteristics of our future neighbourhoods!
Here are your Big Ideas!
- Connections within and between neighbourhoods
- Efficient use of land and infrastructure
- Accessible goods and services
- Navigable streets
- Housing diversity
- Mobility options
- Sense of place and beauty
- Pedestrian-friendly street design
- Accessible and useable park space
- ‘Green’ buildings and features
- Accessible schools
- Urban agriculture
- Sense of community
- Neighbourhood destinations
The Design Team is actively using this feedback as it develops the draft principles, outcomes and guidelines for new neighbourhood design. These draft guidelines will be tested through the early fall and ready for public consultation by late-fall 2012. The goal is to bring the draft guidelines to City Council for their consideration and approval in early 2013.
Check back on the Designing New Neighbourhoods project website later this year for project updates and for more information about getting involved!