The City of Edmonton is closing all City-operated recreation facilities and attractions starting Saturday, March 14, at 6 p.m.
“The safety of the public and our employees is our main priority,” said Interim City Manager Adam Laughlin.
“We don’t yet know how long the closures will last. We will continue to be guided by the province’s public health officials in taking actions to protect Edmontonians and visitors from COVID-19.”
The closure affects all indoor facilities and attractions, as well as the Edmonton Valley Zoo and John Janzen Nature Centre. Zoo staff will continue to ensure the animals are well taken care of during the closure.
The City of Edmonton is working out a process for full or prorated refunds for programs, and will put all annual memberships on hold.
This closure affects the following facilities:
- ACT Aquatic and Recreation Centre
- Bonnie Doon Leisure Centre
- Central Lions Recreation Centre
- Clareview Community Recreation Centre
- Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre
- Confederation Leisure Centre
- Eastglen Leisure Centre
- Grand Trunk Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Hardisty Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Jasper Place Leisure Centre
- Kinsmen Sports Centre
- Londonderry Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Mill Woods Recreation Centre
- Mill Woods Senior and Multicultural Centre
- Northgate Lions Seniors Recreation Centre
- O’Leary Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Peter Hemingway Fitness and Leisure Centre
- St. Francis Xavier Sports Centre
- Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre
- The Meadows Community Recreation Centre
This closure affects the following arenas:
- Bill Hunter
- Castle Downs
- Downtown Community Arena
- George S Hughes South Side
- Grand Trunk
- Kinsmen Twin
- Michael Cameron
- Mill Woods
- Russ Barnes
- The Meadows
Also included in this closure are:
- Edmonton Valley Zoo
- John Janzen Nature Centre
- City Arts Centre
- John Walter Museum
Orange Hub and Prince of Wales Armoury remain open. Tenants will be granted access to these locations. There will be no City programming at these facilities.
Change-room facilities at Hawrelak Park Pavilion, Rundle Park Pavilion and Victoria Park Pavilions will also be closed, with City staff no longer maintaining the ice at these facilities.
The City of Edmonton also encourages anyone who is feeling unwell to use Alberta Health Services self assessment tool.
Please follow and share the latest information from Alberta Health Services.