Many of us spend too much of our work day in a cubicle, sitting at a desk, looking at a computer screen for long periods of time. Unfortunately, this environment can contribute to our body’s physical and mental stress and negatively impact productivity at work and our individual health.
Doing any activity for a long time without a break can be hard on the body. It’s a form of repetitive stress injury. If you have ever sat for a long period of time you will notice that when you get up to walk somewhere your body feels stiff. That stiff feeling is our muscle’s response to being stuck in a shortened position, like sitting, for a long time. That’s why regular stretch breaks feel so great. In addition, working in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time is not only tiring for the eyes but we tend to lose our ability to focus on our work as the mind also gets tired and starts to drift.
For all these reasons, taking a little time to get up from your desk for a change in scenery, and get a bit of physical activity will do wonders for our bodies. Physical activity breaks are necessary to keep our mind and body energized during the course of the day.
There are many reasons why you should take breaks during the day. Here are my top reasons to move your body at work (and at play).
- Energizes you for the day.
- A mental break will improve concentration, stamina, reaction time and memory.
- Improves your mood, better relations with co-workers.
- Helps to make the work day more enjoyable.
- Physical activity can help people manage stress.
- In addition, can send a positive message to employees.
- Increases productivity and effectiveness at work. A change, through physical activity, is as good as a rest.
- Stretch breaks help to promote good posture.
- You are worth the effort!
By making an effort and building in the habit to move more and sit less, you will positively impact your health and quality of life now and in the future. Being physically activity is a great way to spend quality time with family, friends, and co-workers. Sometimes it might be as simple as choosing to walk or cycle to work or during your errands or heading out with some of your co-workers for some lunchtime Yoga.
Never tried Yoga? Well tomorrow is your chance! Join Active Edmonton Wed. Mar. 24 at 12:10pm for a Yoga break. Yoga at City Hall is the perfect midweek gift for your mind, body, and soul! I hope to see you there.